Sunday, February 6, 2011

The First Time I Was Evangelized

I remember being in high school my junior year when one of my friends (we'll call him "J") was radically different after I hadn't seen him all summer, and when I say radically, I mean it. "J" had always been a cool cat and fun to be with, but after that summer, "J" had Jesus and boy did he want to tell everyone about it! The hand of God had touched him and he was on fire!

I was drinking and partying in those days, as were most of my friends, and we avoided "J" as if he were the Black Death. The last thing a guy wants to hear after he had just made plans where the binge drinking fest was gonna be that night, was that "Jesus could change my life".

The trouble was, J and I were on the soccer team together and I was grounded from my car for the majority of my time in high school. So, after practice, I would have to get a ride home from one of my teammates, since that stupid yellow bus had already left 2 hours earlier. Now, I don't know if it was divine intervention or what, but the friends I hung with sometimes weren't able to give me a lift home. On those occasions, the scenario would usually play out something like this:

I would get rejected, for whatever reason, by my inner circle of friends. Then I would ask the people who I liked but didn't really hang with. After they said no, I would get desperate, my heart started to race and my hands began to sweat. I had only 2 more options (looking back, I guess I could have just walked), ok I had 3 options
 

  • I could ride with "A" (who I immaturely thought of as a major dork and weirdo) in his green Jalopy,
  • I could walk (maybe those suicides after practice kept this option away)or,
  • I could face the wrath of Jesus with nowhere to run.
"A" pretty much said no every time (I was secretly happy about this) and walking on wobbly legs wouldn't do, so that left "J", who was always there and always said yes.


Now I don't know if "J" had some kind of spiritual eyes that saw a sign on my back that said, "This Guy needs Jesus", but he was relentless. I honestly don't even remember what he said half the time because all I could think about was how uncomfortable I felt and how strange it was that a 3-mile drive that usually took 6 minutes, seemed like a thousand years. However, the worst part wasn't the drive, because you could distract yourself by looking out the window and avoiding eye contact. No, the worst part was when it was time to leave the car.


"J" had some kind of mystical power that made you feel as if you had to ask his permission to leave. For some reason, you couldn't just say, "Thanks for the ride "J", see you tomorrow." No, this ride came with a price. It cost an intensely uncomfortable gospel message with an invite to church and you couldn't get out of that supernatural vehicle until you agreed to go.




I share this as a comical story because it was, at the time. Apparently, I wasn't the only one this happened to, so it became a joke among the other players who got suckered into going to "J's" church as well. 


We all had a good laugh about the subject, but if we had been honest with ourselves, we could have seen the truth. "J" had the peace and joy only a true follower of Christ can have. He was brave and courageous, shying away from no one about his faith. I mean this guy would gather the opposing team (who we most likely just spanked) together for a prayer after the game. 


I wasn't "saved" that year but he did plant one of the first seeds of faith in my life.  He is an amazing person and I will always remember him for his courage. I had gotten in touch with "J" a few years ago and I'm pleased to say that he has grown to be a strong and mature Christian.

No comments:

Post a Comment